History of Bessie Buker School
The Bessie Buker School was originally built in 1953 to accommodate 280 pupils in eight classrooms. The original "T" design housed classrooms on both sides of the corridors and the all-purpose room was in the center of the building. The basement housed boys' and girls' shower rooms, locker rooms, and a team room. The auditorium was named after the late George H. and Bertha M. Perkins in recognition of their bequest for a new town auditorium and their service to the Town of Wenham.
Bessie Buker School Class of 1957
"To perpetuate her high ideals as a symbol to guide our educational standards, we hereby name the new elementary school building the "Bessie Buker School", and express the hope that she may continue as the principal of our school and the friend and leader of our children for many years to come."